The Project

Last month, I applied to a call for submission for Artway, a project to create an interactive installation at the Port Discovery Children's Museum here in Baltimore. My former thesis professor brought the project to my attention.  While it was a great opportunity, the deadline was only a few days away.  I wasn't sure I'd have enough time to complete a detailed proposal, but my co-workers at aMuse Toys convinced me to give it a shot. How could I be an installation artist, work at a toy store, and not apply? Once I started brainstorming ideas, it became apparent that I needed to visit the site if I wanted to quickly make progress.  All I had in mind was something textural that kids would be able to interact with, but no theme.  Upon visiting the museum, I immediately wanted to draw from the existing aesthetic.  The large wooden propellers and gears were industrial, but made me think of large flowers.  The idea of a normal garden wasn't interesting enough and I wanted it to be imaginative, so I thought, "What would a garden in outer-space look like? How would a child describe it? What would I like to see and do in this area if I were a kid... what would intrigue me as an adult?" I decided to create a "Space Garden" an extra-terrestrial looking area with blooming flowers and plants inspired by propellers and circuit shapes.  The main focus would be sensory and visual appeal of different textures as well as the power of action/reaction. 


Detail from original design proposal


Comments

Popular Posts