Printing with Galactic Gadgets: Recycled Stamp Workshop

WORKSHOP DATES:
Saturday June 28 11am-12pm
Monday July 8 11am-12pm

For this workshop, the kids used stamps made of recycled gadgets to create textured prints.  Galactic means "of or relating to a galaxy" particularly the Milky Way.  These gadgets are easy to find at home (and I think it's safe to say) are unique to our own galaxy.



I made most of the stamps prior to the workshop due to time. Also to make the stamps I used glue that needed time to dry and hot glue that would have required a lot of adult supervision.  I wanted a wide variety of textures to be available at the start of the workshop so for the stamps I made at home prior to  the activity, I used the following items, but the possibilities are endless! I could easily devote an entire hour to just making stamps... it's really fun, you should try it!

  • plastic lids and bottle caps (these make great stamps bases if you glue things to them, or on their own  to make various sized circles)
  • cardboard (try pulling the layers apart or cutting into shapes. I used layers as stamp bases)
  • cork
  • craft foam (the sticky-back kind is good if you want to avoid glue, but the stamps won't last.  If you want to keep them to reuse, I recommend hot glue)
  • packing foam
  • bubble wrap
  • bamboo skewers (make great handles for little stampers, trim to size)
  • spaghetti
  • rice
  • French press filters
  • tulle
  • plastic netting (bath puffs and produce bags)
  • funnels
  • fabric (can be stuffed with newspaper or polyfil for soft stamps)
  • pipe cleaners
  • yarn
  • beads
  • paper tube rolls 







I also had extra plastic caps and craft foam with a peel & stick back so that kids could cut out their own stamps.  

We printed on rice paper and construction paper pre-cut into circles.  The rice paper is nice for printing but is also a little flimsy.  I suggested layering the circles and using a brass fastener in the center to create a rotating wheel. 




Comments

Popular Posts